Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some questions that might help you better understand what Sandbox is. If you can’t find the answer to your question, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are a lifelong values-based community committed to creating experiences for members to explore, pursue and develop their best self, and impact the world around them.
Since 2009, the Sandbox community has hand-selected young leaders from fields from diverse fields such as journalism, quantum physics, politics, to poetry.
The community invites 150 members to join each year and currently has more than 2000 members represented in 40 hubs and outposts around the world.
We create spaces for learning, connection, and transformation across personal and professional dimensions.
Our Vision & Purpose is to address the fundamental challenges of our time by offering change makers transformative experiences and a like-minded community that enables them to develop their best selves. As a Sandboxer, you can expect access to member-only transformative experiences designed to facilitate authentic connection, learning and lifelong relationships, such as:
- Monthly intimate inspiring dinners hosted by hubs across 6 continents #globalfamily
- Regional retreats and workshops ~ connect with members while surfing in Lisbon, exploring pyramids in Egypt, or at a cozy cottage outside Berlin!
- An annual global "unconference" summit ~ we are headed to Vietnam in 2024!
- Join 100s of active affinity-based online communities that host member-led webinars and programming. Many Sandbox events include an educational component, such as speaker series and community-led workshops.
👉🏾Are you a curious human who wants to move mountains and take on complex problems?
👉🏾Do you aspire to meet values-aligned people from around the world to build, create, and dream together?
👉🏾Are you open to vulnerability, and also driven to make a positive change in your community?
Applicants must be 33 years old or younger at the time of application. Each Sandbox hub can admit 1-2 exceptional individuals above 33 at their discretion each year. Let us know if you think this is you!
Vision: A globally connected community who inspire and empower each other to advance citizenship and community development.
Mission: Create a home for a young and diverse community of pioneers to develop meaningful relationships and accelerate the change they wish to have in the world.
Values: Trust, Playfulness, Generosity, Vulnerability, Growth
- We endeavor to create positive value to our world. We are makers and doers connected by a mission to improve our local and global world.
- We believe that our impact is amplified by supporting the impact of others. We see the collective value of supporting one another’s efforts to create a better world.
- We are present with ourselves and one another. We understand the value of showing up physically and being present emotionally and intellectually.
- We give unconditionally. We are generous and reciprocative with our time, resources, and expertise to support the growth of all members.
- We strive for humility, empathy, and authenticity in our connections. We value authenticity and integrity in our relationships with one another.
- We respect the safety and diversity of our community. We create safe, inclusive spaces for members. Members that harm or compromise the wellbeing of other community members will be removed.
We have several communication channels:
- for quick, everyday communication, as well as for connecting with hubs, we use Whatsapp. Each local hub has a group, and there are a various special interest groups created by Sandboxers such as “Sandbox Women’s Circle”, “Sandbox Social Impact”, “Sandbox Founders”, “Sandbox Writers Circle”, “Sandboxers at Burning Man”, and even “Baby Box” for those who have started families.
- For asks, shares and offers we use SuperHive – a weekly, interactive newsletter that’s built within Sandbox and now has grown to serve many communities around the world. SuperHive creates space for everything from access requests — “can someone introduce me to Arianna Huffington?” — to guidance in work and life — “looking for a co-founder!” — to travel requests — “does someone have an open couch in Paris this weekend?” — to personal growth — “how do I become a happier human being?”.
- We also have an internal Facebook group for conversations, debates and connections among members worldwide.
We also use social media for external communication:
Instagram - Moments from the global community
Linkedin – Sharing professional updates of our community members
Locally, each hub is served by Ambassadors. They are the “CEO” of the Hub - designing, building, and operating their hub’s communication channels, events, and culture. They have full autonomy to create the Hub dynamic that works for their members and their city but also share knowledge and resources with each other, in the spirit of an open-source network. Ambassadors are the first point of contact for visiting members and prospective members.
There are people who lead different projects within the community, some matching sandboxers every month with conversation topics, others running a Sandbox DAO, other running interest groups, womens and mens circles, LGBQI+ and many more, we call them initiative leaders.
Then there is the Governance Council which is an elected body which takes care of global level parts of running Sandbox that include communication, member well being, governance innovation amongst others, requirement to be a GC member is to be responsible of at least one area yourself there are up to 8 Governance Council members.
Finally there is the Board of Directors, which are the trustees of the Sandbox Association. They are in charge of the overall direction of Sandbox is going and take care of Legal Matters, managing assets, treasury, overall communications, brand management and more. Sandbox is an association so we fulfill the roles we have to in order to keep our status but focus on getting things done rather than hierarchy for the sake of itself.
***Add info here about Board and Global Council